The Office of the Assistant Secretary for Preparedness and Response (ASPR) is a public health, preparedness and emergency response organization in the Office of the Secretary at the United States Department of Health and Human Services. ASPR was created under the 2006 Pandemic and All Hazards Preparedness Act (and reauthorized in the Pandemic and All Hazards Reauthorization Act of 2013) in the wake of Hurricane Katrina to lead the nation in preventing, preparing for, and responding to the adverse health effects of public health emergencies and disasters. The ASPR serves as the principal adviser to the HHS Secretary responsible for providing integrated policy coordination and strategic direction with respect to all matters related to public health, medical preparedness, and deployment of the federal response for public health emergencies and incidents. The ASPR heads a Staff Division in the Office of the Secretary, serving as the Secretary's principal advisor on issues related to bioterrorism, and leads a collaborative approach to the department's preparedness, response, and recovery portfolio.
In addition to this policy responsibility, the office of the ASPR also has operational responsibilities both for the advanced research and development of MCMs, and for coordination of the federal public health and medical response to incidents. The office of the ASPR serves as the lead official responsible for all federal public health and medical response to public health emergencies and incidents covered by the National Response Framework and National Disaster Recovery Framework.
The Program Manager (PM) is responsible for advancing the ASPR mission of public health preparedness and emergency response. More specifically, the professional services delivered to ASPR span program and functional mission areas including:
• The Immediate Office (IO);
• Security, Intelligence and Information Management (SIIM);
• Management, Finance and Human Capital (MFHC);
• Emergency Preparedness, Emergency Management/Response, Recovery, Logistics Management;
• Operations and Administrative Management including: Travel Coordination and Management, Facilities Support & Management, Human Resources, Talent Management & Strategic Federal Staffing, Employee Development and Training Programs Development and Execution;
• Public Health Preparedness and Emergency Response Communications, Strategic Stakeholder Engagement (Congress/States & Local Government/Industry/Inter/Intra-Agency), and general Program and Project Support and Management.
The PM oversees and manages the operational aspects of three ongoing programs comprised of technical and administrative personnel and serves as liaison between planning, project teams, and management. Reviews status of projects and budgets, manages schedules, and prepares status reports. Assesses program issues and develops resolutions to meet productivity, quality, 508 compliance and client-satisfaction goals and objectives. Develops mechanisms for monitoring project progress and for intervention and problem solving with task leads and task monitors, project and program managers, ASPR leadership and other stakeholders.
The PM is responsible for working with the Government Contracting Officers Representative (COR), the Task Leads, Government management personnel and customer agency representatives. Under the guidance of the Program Director, the Program Manager is responsible for the overall management of the specific task order(s) and ensuring that the technical solutions and schedules in the task order are implemented in a timely manner. The Program Manager is a key person and must have demonstrated leadership experience in a work environment of similar size and complexity to this project.
Undergraduate degree in a life sciences or technical field
• 4-6+ years of program management experience with similar work experience
• Experience working with large and small teams
• Knowledge and experience in public health medical emergencies, and/or emergency management
• Experience in government contracting and on-site work
• Highly organized and process-oriented person with excellent communication and writing skills
• Desired experience within a government agency responsible for public health and/or emergency management
• PMP a plus
Aveshka is a professional services firm focused on addressing our nation’s most complex threats and challenges. As a small business we’re committed to supporting our clients’ missions with services delivered by our diverse and experienced staff. With expertise in cybersecurity, emergency preparedness, and public health, our experience base spans federal, state, and local governments, as well as private sector entities.
Aveshka encourages collaborative communication and ongoing learning. Some of our benefits include:
Aveshka is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE)